- Flaked/rolled organic grain: Oats, rye, barley, common wheat and/or Kamut
- Liquid: Greek yogurt, kefir, milk, milk substitute, or fruit juice
- Seeds and nuts, optional: Almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, ground flax, etc.
- Sliced fresh or dried fruit: Apples, grapes, peaches, bananas, berries, raisins, currants, apricots, etc.
- Sweetener, optional: Agave nectar, raw honey
For a raw, convenient, nutritional and versatile breakfast soak flaked grain in twice as much liquid overnight with any additional seeds and nuts you desire for extra protein. In the morning simply add more nuts if you wish for a good crunch, some fresh or dried fruit, and a sweetener of your choice if you like the extra sweetness.
Note: Muesli may be prepared without the overnight soaking, but soaking grain makes the grain softer to eat and initiates enzymatic activity–making it easier to digest because the carbohydrates are broken down. Soaking freshly flaked organic grain in kefir overnight is the healthiest choice.