A cold day soup that will heat you up from the inside out. To finish the meal you may serve this with chocolate zucchini muffins, like I did today.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Spices and herbs of choice (I used cumin, cayenne, oregano, sage, thyme, cilantro, salt, & pepper)
- Coconut oil
- 1/2 a red onion, chopped coarsely
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1/3 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime or lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 8 ounces diced, canned tomatoes (I used tomatoes canned from our garden this summer)
- 1/2 cup cooked sweet corn, optional
- Salsa, optional
- Sour cream, optional
- Grated cheese, optional
- Tortilla chips
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Season chicken breasts and bake until cooked through (around 20 minutes).
Cook onions in coconut oil, then add chicken broth, rice, citrus juice, agave nectar and chopped, cooked chicken along with any additional herbs and spices you like. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook for 20-30 minutes.
When cooking time is up, add tomatoes, and corn. Taste test and adjust seasoning as desired.
This soup may be served with corn chips crushed on top and salsa, cheese or sour cream stirred into it.